Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Here we go again......

  1. #11
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here we go again......

    Yeah, I know what you mean... Not to sound like a gung-ho GI-Joe or anything, but the military would be pretty interesting and intense, even with the obvious risks you'd have to take in today's messed up world.
    Officially retired

  2. #12
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here we go again......

    One of my sons spent three years in the Army and it really matured him physically and emotionally. He spent a year in Korea and about 7 months in Kosovo. Kosovo was really cold, but he like it better than Korea. It is very demanding on you, but it does help you in other parts of life.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  3. #13
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here we go again......

    There are days that I start fussing about the daily grind and when I catch myself, all I have to do is think back to my days in the 82nd Airborne. No night jumps (which is mostly what we did), no 15 mile humps after a week in the field, no digging your own toilet and then having to use it, and no sleeping in whatever weather it was. I joined specifically to be a paratrooper and to gain the maturity I knew I needed to become an effective teacher. I'm glad to say that both my goals were attained and I would never change a thing I did. With that being said, I have had one knee surgery and have a ruptured biceps that I will feel every day for the rest of my life. It is a hard life, but that's the way it has to be. My heroes are still soldiers whether they were in the past, present, or in the future.

  4. #14
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Here we go again......

    My nephew is in JRROTC at Powell Valley. He wants to be a fighter pilot. That means the Air Force, my brother was in the Air Force and I gave serious thought about getting into the Air Force, but once again no follow through for me.

    My nephew is working really hard to get into the Air Forace Accademy or VMI.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here we go again......

    The Air Force had some really nice planes to jump out of!! My dad was a naval aviator. My basketball coach in college was a Ranger in Vietnam. Two great influences.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member imported_burrhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,878
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here we go again......

    The way Spuds and the rest of the Liberals on this board talk, service men and women don't need to be fighting wars. Soldiers who keep me and my family free and from danger should be the highest paid people in the US!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had joined the service when I graduated.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member timmy_v's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2005
    Posts
    1,586
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here we go again......

    I have been seriously thinking about signing up for the army or marines after i graduate next year. Its just been something that i have been wanting to do for a while. I figured that i could learn a lot from it, and since i want to be a teacher i thought that it might help me grow up a lot since im still really immature.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." -Pre

  8. #18
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here we go again......

    If you want to enlist, know exactly what you want to do and for how long. If it isn't in writing, it doesn't count. Talk to somebody who has been in the military and they will tell you just about everything you want to know...the good and the bad. The pay sucks, it's hard thankless work, and you just can't quit because you want to do something else. But, an honorable discharge and all that goes with it will look good on a resume when you are looking for employment. Who you are now and what your goals are will determine what kind of soldier you will be. And be realistic. Choose an MOS that suits you and is not some pipedream. I wanted to be a paratrooper and wear a cool-looking beret to work everyday. SF, at that time, was not for initial enlistees but for career soldiers, I liked to eat and sleep too much to be a Ranger, so the 82nd Airborne was what I asked for and got. That was my contract. Just be smart and patient. And I went in after I received my degree.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member imported_SuperX's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2004
    Posts
    967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here we go again......

    [ QUOTE ]
    Good-luck to you two in whatever you decide

    [/ QUOTE ]
    thanks alot bro... [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  10. #20
    Inactive Member Shoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2002
    Posts
    1,620
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here we go again......

    One of the biggest mistakes I made was not enlisting. I was gonna go into the airforce, But never did. Looking back on it now I wished I would have. There are times now I still think of signing up and all that, but I guess I feel to old (25) for that now. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •